Brownies - I've got a secret

The Best Brownies
"You could sell these!"


I have heard it so many times about the recipe I am about to share. 


Do you suffer from brownies that don't quite look like the pictures?  A bit gooey with a crispy top? That's not why you baked! You wanted fudgy, beautifully presented, gorgeous little squares of calorie laden goodness, right? ('Right!')


I've got a secret and one word for you....


Refrigerator. 


Get those damn brownies out of the oven, don't even think about touching them. Let them cool for an hour and bung them in the fridge for at least 4 hours. 


Yep. That's it. The secret is out. 


Leave those babies to cool overnight and the next morning they will slice beautifully into neat squares and taste....sing it with me.....d i v i n e !!!  ('la la laaaaa!')


You also need a decent recipe. There's no point putting all that effort and time into it if they aren't going to taste sensashe, right? ('Right!')


I've been making this recipe and variations for well over a year and having tried many - yes, including Nigella's - this one is the best. I originally got the recipe from a lovely lady I met through Twitter who is a truly amazing cook, Jacqui. Her website is www.everydaycook.com.au. I switch it up every now and again with different flavours which I've also suggested below. Just make it and please tell me what you think. 


I know you've heard it all before, but these are only going to turn out as good as the butter and chocolate you buy, so splash out and get the gear you'd happily eat, not 'cooking chocolate'.

THE BEST BROWNIES

250 grams Milk Chocolate
250 grams Dark Chocolate
250 grams of unsalted butter
4 eggs
1 ½ cups of caster sugar
2 teaspoons of vanilla essence
1 cup of plain flour (or almond meal if you're gluten free)

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (fan forced). 
Prepare a slice tin with baking paper. 
Melt chocolate and butter in the microwave or over double boiler until runny. Stir in vanilla essence and set aside to cool a little. 
Beat eggs and sugar until thick and stir in the chocolate mixture. Add the flour and stir to combine well. 
Spread the batter into the baking tin and bake for 35 mins. 
When ready, the surface should look flakey. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature for an hour or so. Place in fridge to cool completely - at least 4 hours or overnight. 
Cut and serve when cooled. 
Keep refrigerated. They freeze really well for when guests drop in. 20 mins out of the freezer and they thaw easily. 


Some nice variations to try:
  • Add a cup of lightly toasted nuts at the same stage you add the flour - chopped walnuts or macadamias are beautiful. 
  • Add orange zest when you add the vanilla - just a hint of jaffa in the end product. 
  • Add raisins at the flour stage - just adds nice, sweet texture. 


Truly, the options are endless once you have this base recipe. 

Knock yourself out. 

Enjoy :)

Comments

  1. OK, that's a challenge. I love Nigella's Brownies (I think I even shared the recipe with you). So if you think these are better...I shall have to find out for myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes you did, my friend.
      Let me know what you think.

      Delete
  2. I had your blonde version of these yesterday and they were amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not even 1 bite:(. Oh you are tough lol. Thanks for the tip. I will pass this on to my pastry chef - Mr19:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy, thanks for your comment on our blog about the necklace joiner clasps. If you would like to send us an email at redphoenixemporium@hotmail.com I'll give you all the details :)
    P.S your brownies look awesome!!!
    Lotus
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the mention, I am so glad you like the brownie recipe.
    If you can't be bothered making them you can always buy one at one of the cafes I supply. You should try the peanut butter version!
    Happy cooking
    Jacqui
    Everydaycook

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts